On 28 November 1986, Toledo was declared a «World Heritage City» by UNESCO, as it preserves the traces of the people who have passed through it. It is located on a hill overlooking the plains of Castilla La Mancha.
Its debut in history dates back to 192 BC when it was conquered by the Roman legions who called the city Toletvm.
Under Roman rule, temples, circuses, theatres, amphitheatres, walls and aqueducts were built. After the disappearance of Roman Hispania, the city was occupied by Germanic peoples.
The Visigoths made it their capital and their King Recaredo in 587 and the celebration of the Visigothic councils gave rise to Christianity in Toledo.
At the beginning of the 8th century, with the arrival of the Muslims, the city was renamed Tulaytula and from then on tolerance began to be forged between the three cultures and religions: Jewish, Muslim and Christian, not without periods of confrontation and tension.
The Christian troops of Alfonso VI entered Toledo on 25 May 1085, putting an end to Arab domination. During these medieval centuries, the city of Toledo was the seat of the court and capital of the Castilian monarchy. It was in those centuries that the well-known «Toledo School of Translators» was developed, with Alfonso X the Wise giving it a good boost.
Toledo reached its greatest splendour in the 16th century, even after the transfer of the capital to Madrid in 1561. The population at that time was around 70,000 inhabitants, a figure that has only been surpassed in the last years of the 20th century.